API or database format for creating custom form from other application

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms API or database format for creating custom form from other application

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

omeldahl
    Participant

I’d like to generate custom forms from the user defined structure of my database application. I’d then have my customer buy Tap Forms for use in remote/offline data collection and import results from there.

I guess I’m asking if it is possible to populate tapforms_db.sqlite programatically with my own custom forms? “It works, but is not supported” is an acceptable answer for now and we could test?

olec

November 3, 2011 at 8:19 PM #4910

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Olec,

As long as you generate a CSV file with the right structure, Tap Forms can import that and create the form automatically for your users. If they’re needing to append data to an existing form they can do that to by selecting the form in Tap Forms first, then selecting the “Import Records” option.

I suggest you create your form (or even just a sample form) in Tap Forms first, then export that as a CSV file and take a look at the header row. It will contain the field type tags that you need to put in your CSV file.

Thanks!

Brendan

November 4, 2011 at 9:41 PM #4912

omeldahl
    Participant

Thanks. That takes me almost there.

What about pick lists? Can they be imported?

I investigated using linked forms as pick lists, but they aren’t exported as far as I can understand.

Any chance the CSV header will be augmented with some of the other Field Options/metadata that can be set, such as pick list, default values etc?

olec

November 4, 2011 at 10:05 PM #4913

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes, Pick Lists can be imported. When you create your pick list, there’s an action menu at the top-right which lets you do things like sort the values, delete the pick list, or import values. Just create a text file with one entry per row and upload it to Tap Forms.

Hmm… Not sure about updating the header with all that info. Ultimately an XML file would be ideal for something like that because it’s easy to represent relationships in an XML file.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 7, 2011 at 6:14 PM #4917

omeldahl
    Participant

The XML approach is a great idea, easy way to get a complete structure easily uploaded in one go, forms, fields and picklists.

I’ll continue to see what can be done using the current import mechanisms and also manipulating the sqllite db looks manageable.

Thanks

olec

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.