4472 records on iPhone and 4465 records on Mc.

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms 4472 records on iPhone and 4465 records on Mc.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Jonathan Levin
    Participant

I am using Nearby sync. My Phone has 4472 records and the DB on my Mac is showing 4465 records.

Is there a way to find the 7 records on the iPhone to resolve the difference? I checked the very beginning and the very end for possible empty records but couldn’t find anything.

Using latest updates of both apps.IOS 13.2, but has been going on for a while.

Thanks.

October 30, 2019 at 6:10 PM #37591

Brendan
    Keymaster

The first thing you should do is make a backup file on the iPhone.

Then, you could remove the devices from the Nearby Sync settings screen on the Mac and the iPhone.

Then re-add the iPhone to the Mac. The Mac should try to pull in the changes from the iPhone.

Then add the Mac to the iPhone.

Hopefully that’ll resolve the issue.

Also, after that, try changing the First Sort field to something else, view the list of records, then change it back, then view the list of records.

That’ll re-index the records and should update the counts.

October 31, 2019 at 1:05 AM #37601

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Nearby Sync is a one way pull from the source to your local device. You need to have them both setup pointing to each other so make sure both the Mac and phone have each other added.

If that doesn’t work and you’re happy to work with a terminal for a short while, I can probably put something together to compare the two instances over the network to figure out which records are missing.

October 31, 2019 at 8:41 AM #37610

Jonathan Levin
    Participant

Thank you both!

So I trust the DB on my Mac is OK. Is there a simple way to delete the DB from iPhone, then re-sync to get what I have on the Mac? Or is the above method the only way?

Not the end of the world if it’s not a simple fix.

October 31, 2019 at 11:30 AM #37617

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Johathan,

Yes, you can just delete the document on your iPhone by closing it (by tapping the (v) button at the top-left of the My Forms tab), tapping the Select button, then tap the document to delete. The trashcan button will appear at the top-left of the Documents view. Tap on it to delete the document.

Then on the Mac, use the Send Document function to send another copy of that document back over to your iPhone. Setup the Nearby sync again.

https://www.tapforms.com/help-mac/5.3/en/topic/send-to-another-device

October 31, 2019 at 12:47 PM #37619

Jonathan Levin
    Participant

Hi Brendan.

So I deleted Library on iPhone using your directions. I then launched the desktop version of DB and in the file menu, the Send Document command is grayed out. In addition, when I checked my Nearby Sync settings on the Desktop Mac, it shows that my phone is not connected (red dot) even though I have TF open on the phone.

I then deleted that phone from the Nearby Devices window on the Mac, tried to create a “New” device (my phone) but nothing is showing up in the “Select a device..” window.

I should have left well enough alone….

October 31, 2019 at 7:42 PM #37628

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Close the document and try sending it from the database documents screen (Command + 0 or Window then Database Documents).

November 1, 2019 at 12:11 AM #37635

Brendan
    Keymaster

@Jonathan, it didn’t show up because you need more than just Tap Forms opened. You need the actual document opened. As Sam suggested, close the document on your Mac and then the Send Document function will be enabled. It’s done this way because the database file needs to be closed before Tap Forms can be sure it can read the database without it changing mid-send.

November 1, 2019 at 9:19 AM #37647

Jonathan Levin
    Participant

I solved this in a round about way maybe.

Here’s wha I did:

I plugged in my Phone 6s into my mac. I launch iTunes and clicked on the iPhone connected icon. In the side bar I selected File Sharing and clicked on the TapForms item in the list. I then located the DB (which is really well hidden) on my Mac that I wanted and dragged that to the TF file window in iTunes.

To find the Document I wanted I did Command-0, the number 0, selected DB and did a “Reveal in browser”.

I then synced my iPhone, and the DB is now on my phone, matching the record count exactly. After unplugging iPhone, I made a few changes to desktop DB, but the changes were not being reflected, and the other way around: change info on iPhone.

It wasn’t until I clicked on the + and added my Mac to sync. Tools>Sync settings> + (added computer)

Now all is working just fine and I not only have same amount of records on device and computer, but sync is working both ways.

November 1, 2019 at 10:36 AM #37653

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Next time you have a need to get to the document there are two ways to do it:

1. if you open up the Database Documents screen and select the document, there is a right directed arrow in a circle entitled “Open in Finder” that will take you to the folder.
    2. if you right click on the title bar of Tap Forms, you’ll get a list of the folders that the document is in and you can click on the first folder to get to the path.

The second one is a generic MacOS feature that works on almost any document based application, including apps like Finder or TextEdit. The icon that you see in the title bar can also be dragged in many applications as well but for some reason this is disabled with Tap Forms.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.