Redesigning Existing Structure to Use Join

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Redesigning Existing Structure to Use Join

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

scneophyte
    Participant

Very excited to be at this point since linking records to forms was a significant chore for me. I am up against a challenge that, while I am still thinking about the solution for myself, thought I would throw to the community.

To maintain my privacy, I have a theoretical scenario below for a manufacturing plant:

PARENTS
    Form 1: Nuts
    Form 2: Bolts
    Form 3: Screws

CHILD
    Form 4: Expenses

Each expense on Form 4 links to a record on one of parent forms. Before the join field came into existence I had to have three Inverse Relationships showing on the Child form and then select the parent from from the appropriate field on the Child form.

Now, with the join field, I only need one field on the Child form!

Challenge: I want the join field on the Child form to be a picklist from records from the three parent forms

Workaround: I abandon the idea of having three parent forms and combine them into one formed named “Manufactured Items.” It is not my preference but could be done.

Thanks for reading!

November 7, 2017 at 12:12 PM #25796

scneophyte
    Participant

Still working on this redesign. Since the original post, I have decided on combining the three forms but this still proposes a challenge.

Here is a better scenario: Book publishing. Each book is publish in print form, CD form, and digital download. I have one form for my books but want to track sales and expenses for each format.
    Form: Books
    Text Field (TF1): Author
    Text Field (TF2): Physical Release code
    Text Field (TF3): CD Release code
    Calculation Field (CF1): Physical Release Join = TF1 + TF2
    Calculation Field (CF2) : CD Release Join = TF1 + TF3
    Link to Form Field (LtF1): Physical Book Sales = Join CF1 with TF4
    Link to Form Field (LtF2): CD Book Sales = Join CF2 with TF4

Form: Expenses
    Text Field (TF4): Release Join = Picklist

Current Options:

• manually add all possible entries from the CF1 and CF2 to a picklist
    • create two picklists, one linked to CF1 and the other linked to CF2, then have two fields on the Expenses form, each linking its respective pick list

Requested Feature:

• ability to link a single pick list to more than one field on a form

If anyone has a better idea for how it can be done with the current feature set I am all ears!

November 7, 2017 at 4:58 PM #25802

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can already link a single Pick List to multiple fields in a form. In fact, you can link the same Pick List to any Text or Number field in any form.

November 7, 2017 at 7:33 PM #25808

scneophyte
    Participant

Thanks, Brendan. To be clear, I am trying to populate the choices of a Pick List from multiple fields. I’ve tried using shift, commands, etc to select multiple fields but to no avail. What am I missing?

(see screenshot)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    November 7, 2017 at 9:17 PM #25811

Brendan
    Keymaster

Oh! Sorry for my misunderstanding. You can only select a single field on the Pick List itself to populate its values.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.