Pick List sort order

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Bob Peterson
    Participant

Wish: Pick lists should define the field sort order.

I am using a pick list for a text field. Technically, only values from this pick list are allowed, so there’s another wish: restrict values to the pick list.

January 26, 2014 at 11:19 AM #8886

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Bob,

There’s a sort function on the Pick List edit screen where you can tell it to sort the list alphabetically either A->Z or Z->A.

Thanks!

Brendan

January 26, 2014 at 5:22 PM #8894

Bob Peterson
    Participant

That sorts the Pick List. I mean the Pick List order should be the sort order for any field that uses that Pick List. That way I can have my Pick list be:
    Beginner
    Intermediate
    Advanced
    Unrated
    If a Level field uses that Pick List, and I sort records on the Level field, then all Beginner records will appear first. As it stands now, Advanced records appear first.

January 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM #8896

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Bob,

Oh I see. That’s a custom sort order I guess. I would recommend just adding a number before your values then to have it sort how you want.

E.g.

1. Beginner
    2. Intermediate
    3. Advanced
    4. Unrated

It should sort fine then. The database engine will sort alphabetically on the values, not by a custom sort order based on your pick list values.

Thanks,

Brendan

August 19, 2018 at 6:04 PM #30303

Michael Ganus
    Participant

I would also like for you to add the function of a custom sort order. It would be very helpful.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.