A few people have asked me how to import their CSV files into Tap Forms. Here's a quick guide to get you going in the right direction.
Before you transfer your file to Tap Forms, make sure your CSV file has the following properties:
- Has a .csv file extension (lowercase .csv in version 1.6).
- Encoding matches encoding of set in the Import & Export Settings screen.
- Includes a header row defining the field names and types (optional) you would like to have in your form.
- If you're importing dates, your import data format should be set correctly in the Import & Export Settings screen.
You can build a header row such as this (including a couple of sample records):
Movie Name<text>,Release Date<date>,Is Great Movie<check_mark>
The Dark Knight,07/18/2008,Y
The English Patient,11/22/1996,N
Valid Field Types are:
- phone (should be all digits without formatting)
The field type in the header row of your CSV file must match exactly one of the field types above. If the field type doesn't match or is unspecified, text will be used instead.
If you define your header row on your PC to be the field names that you'd like to see in Tap Forms and also give them a field type, then Tap Forms will do most of the work for you. The only thing you need to do on the iPhone itself is create a new form, give it a name and pick an icon.
On the Edit Form screen you'll see an action menu icon (a little arrow in the top-right corner). Tap that and then you'll see "Import Records". Selecting your .csv file will then bring you to the Import screen. You'll see how many rows there are (less the first header row), the file size, and a big green Import button. Tap that and Tap Forms will auto-create the fields for you and import the records.