Tap Forms Organizer and Secure Database for iPhone, iPad, and Mac › Forums › Using Tap Forms › webdav unreliable
April 28, 2010 at 4:21 PM #3140
Does anyone else have a problem getting webdav to work consistently? I turn it on, get a URL, enter that in my browser and get an error message (saying site can’t be found). I try various things and eventually it works. In no particular order, I’ve tried:
* Turning webdav off and on again
* Turning my iPod Touch off and on again
* Exiting TapForms and go back in
* Refreshing my browser
I know it’s NOT because I’m entering the URL incorrectly because it DOES eventually work and the URL is consistent throughout. I’m not sure which of those actions above sorts the problem out – I’ve not noticed any pattern – maybe none of them; maybe it’s just waiting for something else! When it works, it works fine, but it generally takes several goes to get it started. Anyone else noticed this, or have any ideas I can try?
Thanks.May 6, 2010 at 5:51 AM #4082
Sorry for the late reply. I haven’t had any issues getting the WebDAV server to work. Have you tried using the FTP server instead?
Also, what OS and browser are you using?
BrendanDecember 2, 2010 at 5:55 PM #4270
I posted this in the comments of the Blog also…
Hopefully this will help you resolve some of the connection issues being experienced. I downloaded the “Lite” version to test Tap Forms and thought the Web/FTP file transfer support would be great. So… I started the app and started the server…
It reports that I should use “http://10.91.217.134:8080″ for connections. That’s odd, because my internal network is 192.168.14.xxx and the iPhone is assigned 192.168.14.157. I tried connecting to the advertised URL and it didn’t work. I connected to my known iPhone IP and it worked! So, the web server should have been reporting “http://192.168.14.157:8080″.
After a little more digging, I turned up that the 10.91.217.134 address is assigned to the pdp_ip interface (3G data network) on the phone and the 192.168.14.157 address is assigned to en0 interface (wireless).
The application needs to limit the displayed IP to the wireless network interface to get this working for everyone. I have not done much iPhone coding, but you should be able to identify the address for just the wireless adapter.
Investigating further, I see that the application listens on all interfaces (tcp4 *.8080) from any address. For security reasons, I also recommend that you limit your server to only listen on the wireless interface.
A quick solution for your users would be to check the Settings->Wi-Fi->(SSID) to get their correct IP address to use. Or, if they want to see the correct address displayed, they can temporarily disable the cellular data connection by going to Settings->General->Network and setting Cellular Data OFF. Going back to Tap Form, the wireless address will be displayed. Just remember to turn Cellular Data ON for normal use.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.