Tap Forms 2 Bento import (issues?)

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

appledog
    Participant

Tap Forms 2 looks fantastic!

I imported my first bento form and it came over, except for these 2 issues; perhaps they are limitations that I’m not aware of:

1. A photo field came over as empty. Is this correct?
    2. A password field on Bento did not come over at all; not even as an empty field in TapForms. Do password fields have to be recreated manually from Bento?

Is it possible to fill a rectangle with a photo texture to emulate the form I used on Bento? If not, this would be a nice feature for a future update.

The possibility to select my own fonts and sizes just blew Bento out of the water!

December 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM #8268

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi AppleDog,

1. I had another customer tell me the photos didn’t import. However, I tested it using his own template, but with my photos and the Bento importer correctly imported the photos. So I’m not sure what the common denominator is here that’s causing this problem.

What OS version are you using?

2. Is your password field of type “Encrypted” in Bento? I need to add support for that one still. Sorry.

I will be adding support for backgrounds in a future update.

Thanks!

Brendan

December 17, 2013 at 1:20 AM #8273

Nihon
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

congratulations on the new release – looks awesome! Well worth the wait :-)

I had mixed results on the Bento photo import myself. It did not work on the Mac where Bento is installed and the template export was made. The same template file import went well without problems on a different Mac – all images are in place
    (both Macs were freshly updated to OS X 10.9.1).

On the Mac failing the photo import I got several errors in the console (shortened list in error.log – compare to success.log). It seems Tap Forms is looking in the wrong folder to import the images?

If you need any more info, drop me a line.

Keep up the good work!

Regards

Timo

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    December 17, 2013 at 1:57 AM #8278

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Timo,

Thanks for the error information.

I wonder if Tap Forms hadn’t created the Photos folder yet on the Mac that you had failures importing the photos on?

Could you please try adding one photo manually to any form? Then try your import from Bento again? I’ll have to look into the code to see if it’s not creating the Photos directory before the import process. I really should just create it when the app launches. I do some folders, but for Photos I create it only when you add a photo.

Thanks!

Brendan

December 17, 2013 at 2:03 AM #8280

Nihon
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

yes, now it works. I added a photo manually and the import went well afterwards. No errors. :-)

Timo

December 17, 2013 at 2:18 AM #8281

Brendan
    Keymaster

Excellent. That’s good to know. I’ll fix that up for the next update.

Thanks!

Brendan

December 17, 2013 at 8:05 AM #8284

appledog
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I’m on OS X 10.9.1.
    For now, I’ll copy my logos by dragging and dropping.

Yes, they were encrypted fields in Bento. As a work around, I exported them to a Numbers table. I’ll add the form manually in Tap Forms and copy the results manually from the table. On encrypted fields, I’d really like to be able to have those display in Tap Forms as •••••• unless I click on a little display value widget… sometimes there are other people around, and it’s uncomfortable to have my passwords displayed in the open. If there would be a way to handle these similar to the way Bento does, it would be great.

December 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM #8297

Brendan
    Keymaster

@appledog, You only need to add a photo one time so that Tap Forms creates the Photos folder then you can import the Bento template that includes photos.

Thanks for the feature request for encrypted fields. Agreed, that would be good to have.

December 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM #8309

Clint Mitchell
    Participant

Hi, thank you for this update. Which looks like it will be well worth the wait once I get it all set-up.

I’m having trouble importing a Bento template. I’ve followed the guide in the manual. So I’ve got an exported bento template on my desktop which is 1.26 GB in size. Each entry/record contains text and photos (up to 10). There are 1035 records in total. Strangely the (Bento) form imports into TapForms (rather quickly for 1.26 GB..) but after it has finished importing (approx 2 seconds) it says that there are zero records in the project when there should actually be 1035? When I manually add a record to this imported form it shows all my original Bento layout with all the correct fields as I would expect but obviously it’s just blank. Any ideas why none of the records are importing?

I’m on Mavericks 10.9.1

Thanks

Clint :)

December 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM #8311

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Clint,

It seems that I’ve only just discovered today that Bento sometimes writes the file name of the data files in 2 different ways. When I built the Bento template importer, the Bento data file names looked like this:

lib_recipes/49999.json

But I’ve now discovered that sometimes they’re called:

lib_recipes.json

The name of your library would dictate the name after “lib_”. In my case it was a Recipes library.

So Tap Forms is currently looking for a file with a name like lib_recipes/49999.json but not finding it in your template.

The way to fix this is to:

1. Right-click on the template and select “Show Package Contents”.
    2. Click on Contents
    3. Open the Template.xml file in a text editor such as TextWrangler
    4. Look for something that looks like <domain name=”lib_library” ID=”29994″>
    6. The lib_library will match up with the file name of the .json file in the data folder. The 29994 is the ID which needs to be in the file name.
    7. Open the data folder to view the list of data files there.
    8. Rename the .json file to be lib_library/29994.json using the Finder.

Your file name will be different of course depending on the library name.

Let me know if you’re able to accomplish this. I have already made a workaround in the app to accommodate the 2 different ways the data files can be named. That’ll be in the next update.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 18, 2013 at 3:13 AM #8315

Clint Mitchell
    Participant

Hi Brendan, thanks for looking into this for me. I have tried to import the template using the workaround you have supplied but unfortunately I can’t seem to get it to work. Firstl when I open up the Template.xml in TextWrangler I find a line of code: <domain name=”my_project” ID=”1703″>

Edit: Ok, I worked it out. So the file in the Data folder was called: my_project.json

I then changed it to: my_project/1703.json By simply adding the /1703 to the end of the template name so that TapForms could establish the link between the two files.

It has now imported fine and as expected with photos and all.

Thank you for your time Brendan, great bit of software. :)

December 18, 2013 at 3:16 AM #8316

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Clint,

Excellent. I’ve worked on a fix for that, but it needs some more testing. It’s strange that some templates have this issue and others don’t.

December 18, 2013 at 4:06 AM #8317

Clint Mitchell
    Participant

Brendan, Thanks, and yes it’s very strange indeed. There’s got to be a reason hidden somewhere.

December 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM #8332

Johnny Gleden
    Participant

I might have missed some… but did the following and add one picture in Tap Forms…. but still no pictures is showing after import
    Also checked the “lib_recipes/49999.json” file
    In my saved Bento template the file look correct…but still no pictures will show in Tap Forms
    ………………
    <?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”UTF-8″ standalone=”yes”?>
    <bento version=”4.1″>
    <library label=”Verktøy 2″ ID=”36861″ icon_set=”com.filemaker.bento.iconset.inventory”>
    <domain name=”lib_inventory 3″ ID=”36863″>
    ………………
    The data file do read………
    lib_inventory 3/36863.json
    ………………
    2009 Mac Pro 8core 2.66GHz
    OSX 10.9.1 (13B42)
    Bento 4.1.2 ( 29717 )
    834 records ( 1-3 pictures in each record )
    Pictures..JPG size 150kb – 250kb

If not possible to solve the problem I will wait for the next update as I am in no hurry to convert from Bento To Tap Forms

Thank you in advance for the help in this matter

Johnny

December 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM #8333

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Johnny,

I wonder if the space in the file name is causing an issue? Can you rename the domain name value from “lib_inventory 3” to “lib_inventory_3” and then rename the file to match that? E.g. “lib_inventory_3/36863.json”?

I’ll do some investigations with that to see if a space in the name makes a difference to the importer.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 19, 2013 at 5:26 PM #8343

Johnny Gleden
    Participant

Hi

It did work as you instructed regarding the space…..Thank you, Thank you very much
    Also the import of my Bento Template file with 834 records and more than 1000 pictures was very, very quick indeed
    There are one happy person in Norway today………..
    And Bento is now in the garbage can
    And now …Tap Forms for iPhone and iPad
    Yea!

Johnny

December 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM #8348

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Johnny,

That’s great to hear! I was out Christmas shopping with my kids today so haven’t had a chance to work on changing the code to support spaces in the file names yet, but it’s on my to-do list for this evening.

Thanks!

Brendan

December 19, 2013 at 9:08 PM #8353

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Johnny,

Would you be able to send me a sample of your Bento template that has the spaces in the domain and file name with just a few records and photos (if it has photos)? I’ve been testing a template that I have where there’s a space in the json file name, but the importer is able to find it. I just want to make sure that it will work with your file.

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.