Encryption not working

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Rodbuilder
    Participant

I had to replace my iPhone and used the restore iphone from backup. Tapforms installed and all my data seemed to be there, but I had an issue. One of my forms is encrypted and my password no longer works on the form. I then restored the app from a backup that was on Dropbox. The app still does not recognize my password, now my iPad tapform is corrupt and the password does not work on it. What happened, I really need to recover the forms. I know the password but it just stays locked, is there a solution.

August 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM #6514

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Rod,

What you need to do is go to the Security Settings and tap on the Set Encryption Key button. Then you’ll need to set the encryption key to be the EXACT SAME key as you used before. If you don’t do that you will just get access to your forms, but any of the encrypted fields will be all garbage. But you can always uninstall, re-install, then restore your database, then try again.

Thanks!

Brendan

July 17, 2016 at 6:08 PM #17720

Chip Malinowski
    Participant

Thanks again, Brendan!
    I just had this same problem.
    My laptop died; I had recent backups.
    My phone died; I had a recent backup.
    I got my new iPhone set up using my new laptop and copied TapForms to it. I even restored the database from the backup, but TapForms on my new iPhone said my password was incorrect. I searched for, “I restored a backup and the password no longer works”, on your forums and got this post from 2013 where you explained how to fix it.
    I got into TapForms, tapped Tools > Security Settings > Change Encryption Key. Then I typed in the same password I used for my TapForms Database on the old phone. Bingo. Now it will accept my password and all the encrypted files decrypt nicely for me.
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Every iPhone needs TapForms.
    Chip

July 18, 2016 at 12:31 AM #17722

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hehe… I like how you think Chip!

July 24, 2016 at 8:30 PM #17730

kzorith
    Participant

Ok, that’s all well and good if you can remember the password you set the encryption to. What happens if you don’t? I installed this app years ago.

I have a new iPad that I want to sync my iPhone with but of course, the iPhone has a encryption key, and the iPad does not.

I’m thinking the way to handle it would be to just export all my databases from the iPhone into flat files and then wipe the apps off both my iPad and iPhone and reinstall them both, this time recording the encryption key used.

I’m hoping there’s an easier way, like the ability to share a certificate which contains the key with another device.

Kzorith

July 24, 2016 at 11:44 PM #17731

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Kzorith,

What you’ll want to do is make a backup file on the Backup & Restore screen. Then copy the backup file to your computer using iTunes File Sharing or upload it to Dropbox or some other cloud service by tapping on the Upload button on the Backup & Restore screen.

Then you’ll need to uninstall the app and re-install it. Then restore the database file that you copied to your computer or uploaded to your cloud service. There’s a Download button right on the Backup & Restore screen for that.

Once you’ve restored your database you’ll be able to set the encryption key again.

Just make sure it’s the same value on each device.

That’s it.

Thanks,

Brendan

July 25, 2016 at 11:44 PM #17747

kzorith
    Participant

Thank you Brendan. That’s the solution I came across in another post and it worked for me.

Is there a FAQ that I missed where I might have found it without asking the question here?

Thanks
    Kzorith

July 26, 2016 at 12:21 AM #17749

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Kzorith,

There isn’t. Sorry. The forum is a good place to find answers mostly. There’s also the online user manual for Mac. Available from the Help menu. But it doesn’t cover that specific question.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.